Oklahoma Wing Headquarters
Main Content

Become a Cadet Sponsor

Civil Air Patrol cadets benefit when their families offer support. Parents, grandparents, or legal guardians of a cadet are eligible and encouraged to join as cadet sponsors and participate in the rewarding experience of assisting their unit’s cadet program.  

Cadet sponsors can chaperone cadets, ride in or drive a Civil Air Patrol vehicle, and help other adult volunteer members as needed. They are not assigned to a staff position but support the unit as their schedules allow.

There are requirements for basic education and training before fully interacting with cadets. 

Here are the steps to join CAP as a cadet sponsor member:

Step 1

Find a local CAP squadron or talk to your cadet’s squadron commander about joining as a cadet sponsor. 

Step 2

After the squadron commander and membership review board approve your membership, complete the membership application and FD 258 fingerprint card (available at your squadron).

Step 3

Submit your application, fingerprint card, and dues as directed by your squadron.

Some of the requirements to become an adult member of Civil Air Patrol are:

  • Be at least 18 years of age and assigned to the same unit as your child, grandchild, or ward.
  • Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence. (A lawfully admitted noncitizen residing in the U.S. may have this waived by National Headquarters.)
  • Be accepted by the membership board of the Civil Air Patrol unit you are joining.
  • If former military, you must have been discharged under honorable conditions. 
  • Complete an FBI criminal background check.
  • Have no felony convictions.



A cadet from Civil Air Patrol's National Capital Wing learns about aircraft ELTs.

© 2024 Civil Air Patrol. All rights reserved.